Monday 29 December 2014

Just Thinking

 

2014 is leaving us very soon. I can’t say that it has been the best year of my life – not be far – but it’s also not been the worst, and that’s a good thing. It was definitely a year of ups and downs, and a lot of that has been due to having a much better attitude than the last time I was off work for a long period of time. I also didn’t let myself sink down into a depression, even though there were days when I was quite down. I would start thinking about what’s good in my life, though, and then my spirits would start to rise again.

Yes, I suffer from depression. Not a chemical one like many people I know, but I still suffer from it. For me, depression’s part of my personality since I’m an emotional person who tends to go up and down a lot. When I sink down into dark times, it’s because I focus on what’s bad in my life and let myself get down so easily. I know that this is different from what others go through, although the symptoms are often the same. I am clarifying this because I don’t want anyone to think that an attitude adjustment is what’s needed for people to leave their depression behind. Nor is their depression due to a lack of faith or anything like that. Not by any means. Yes, my kind of depression is a serious thing, and some say that some kind of chemical change does come over me. Maybe so – I wouldn’t be surprised – but it’s still not the same thing.

I don’t know if this clear to anyone – I hope so. I don’t know how else to describe it – but it’s the best that I can do. I just wanted to clarify that I’m not trying to minimise what other people go through. Each of us has our struggles and pitfalls and temptations and weaknesses, but each of us also has our strengths and things that bring us joy, and we all feel deeply, even if we don’t show it. Each of us are capable of feeling the lowest lows and sinking down into the pit of despair, but we are also able to experience wonderful happiness and exhilaration. Not all of us show it, though. Some people are just more staid and laid back and quiet about things than others, and these differences – along with all the other differences – help to make each person unique and special and interesting.

The differences of each person are part of what makes life in general fascinating. There’re actually a lot of things that make life interesting, but sometimes it’s easy to forget this. I’m the kind of person who’s easily amused and am rarely bored, which is good since I’m sure that I’d bore easily if I wasn’t. I do get bored if my life’s the same all the time, but I’ve learned to look for amusement in everyday life and in various moments, especially when things happen to me, and that’s cool.

I am the kind of person to which things happen often. If someone’s going to slip or trip – but not necessarily going to get hurt – it’ll be me. If someone’s going to have something spilled on her, I’m often the one. When these things happen, I’m often annoyed at first, but usually I end up laughing over them, or at least let it slide off me and let it go.

I’m glad that my cat’s an easy going and calm beastie. He loves to snuggle and to curl up on my lap, and I’m glad about that. Some people I know have cats who don’t like that, but Dublin is one who craves cuddles, and I happily oblige him as much as I can. Of course he does more than just nap on my lap, but this is one of my favourite things about him. He feels confident that my lap is there for him when he wants it, and I’m thankful that he feels that confidence.

This is quite a varied post, eh? Oh, well! I just wanted to write and post something. I’m going to take a blog writing course early next month, and it’ll give me some ideas. I also know that there’re loads of ideas online, and so I’ll get some ideas for what to write. If you have any, please feel free to write them in the comments section.

In case I don’t post again ‘til 2015, Happy New Year, & may it be an amazingly blessed year for each & every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment