Wednesday 31 December 2014

Good-Bye, Old Woman 2014.

OK, so there’s Baby New Year, but there’s no name for the old year that passes into history. Usually Father Time is depicted as the one bringing Baby New Year into being, or something like that, but he’s always around since time is always around.

I don’t feel a sense of difference just going from one year to the next. To me, New Years Day is just another day, except that it’s a stat holiday here in Canada & people who work get paid more if they qualify (if a person has worked 15 of the 30 days previous). I’m working tomorrow, and so I’ll get extra pay. It’s just another day, even though there is a sense of change in the air. It’s hard to ignore the signs of a new year approaching since so many people focus on it. There’s nothing wrong with that; it’s natural, isn’t it?

I have to say that this hasn’t been the best year for me, but it’s also not been the worst. So that’s a good thing. Looking back, I can’t say that there’s been anything extraordinary about it. It’s not been special in any way, although there have been special moments in it. Mind you, there are always special moments in each year, aren’t there? I’ve learnt to look for even the smallest blessings and things to celebrate – it helps to make life more interesting and it helps to keep my attitude good.

I don’t count my blessings in the literal sense, although I do make an effort to see them and to acknowledge them. Despite some people’s views that there is nothing good in life and that they’re not blessed, each person is in some way or other. I know what it is to be so deep down into the well that I’ve hidden my eyes from even the smallest bit of light so that it’s so dark that I can’t see any good, but I don’t want to be there. If people take the time and make the effort to look for it, there’re good things all around. Sometimes they’re just wee bits of goodness, but they’re there. Yes, it’s hard to make an effort, and if you’re down in the deepest pit of despair, the effort to see that is extremely hard to make. If you do make that effort, though, it’s totally worth it.

No, I don’t count my blessings in the literal sense, as I said at the start of the last paragraph, but I do make an effort to seek them out and to acknowledge them. Sometimes I don’t see them ‘til later, and that’s fine.

I was off work this year until August, and then I started a job that I don’t like. I won’t go into it, but there’re many reasons why it’s not a good job. However, I am working and earning money, and that’s a good thing. I focus on the people with whom I work, all of whom I like. Some people I don’t like to work with for various reasons, but I like them as people. I’m sure this makes sense, at least to most of you.

Being outdoors is something I love, but I’ve not been out in it all that much in the past few years. This needs to change, and it will change. I get strength from being outdoors, and I’m always rejuvenated when I’ve spent time in nature. I feel closer to God in nature than almost anywhere else. Often I go on photo jaunts, but sometimes I go outside just to commune with nature. I love photography and capturing the beauty of God’s creation, but there are times when I just have to sit and be still and to enjoy it without feeling the need to capture it in some way. To be still and know that He is God….oh, what a blessing!

The best part of this year has been time spent with Dublin, and that’s been a lot. He’s the best part of my home, and it’s wonderful sharing my home with him. He’s funny and sweet and loving and adorable.

I don’t really know what else to say here, and so I’ll end this now. I hope and pray that 2015 will be an amazing year for me – there are changes for the better that I’m working on and will continue to work on – and for each and every one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment